About Me

Costa Mesa,, CA, United States
Pattern maker for the fiberglass/composite industries. Experienced in creating shapes from drawings, verbal descriptions, very vague sketches. Well versed in reading styles and feelings into creating shapes. I am very familiar with mold creation and repair. I have been doing this for 35 years. I also enjoy photography, web graphics, animation, and web development. In realizing my need to "move on" I hope to become proficient in these as I have "tooling." Click on any of the pictures to see them full size

Wednesday, September 19, 2007

Lamborgini Countach Replicar

I assembled and finished three of these bodies on three Renault
chassis. Because of the tremendous drop in weight these cars were very much quicker than the stock Renaults which they were based on. They received as much attention on the streets or freeways as a real Lamborghini. Acceleration was exceptional. They were your very "high end" kit car.





The body panels were shipped from England and were very ill-fitting. It took a lot of creativity and determination on my part to make them fit together well. I assembled these cars in Salt Lake City, Utah. They were an outrageous site there at that particular point in time. Real attention grabbers wherever they were seen.

The true Countach vertical opening doors were the most difficult parts of the cars to fit and get working properly. One of the greater challenges I've experienced in my career. At that time I had a small trailer in which I could easily transport any tools and supplies I might need to a site and set up shop on the spot. I was ahead of my time in that I created a "niche" for myself well before the term became popular. I was the only "tooler" who could to into a small shop and set up to do either custom "glass' work or tooling in a shop that did not have an area dedicated just for tooling. It worked very nicely for me until this particular company was broken into and all the tools, welders, company vehicles and my trailer were stolen.


The rear view of the cars was certainly the most dramatic. Of course, if you were following............it was going away from you..............very quickly.





Sliding into the cockpit of one of these felt like putting on a body glove. You became an integral part of the car. The supple glove leather interior was soooo comfortable. The cars were tricked out with excellent stereo systems, but it was more fun to listen to the engine through the special exhaust system and feel the acceleration in relation to it. A real heart-stopping experience.





























































































































































































































































































1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Very Nicely done Steve!

Sweet! I can tell you really enjoyed doing this!

I know I really enjoyed viewing it!

Thanks :)