About Me

Costa Mesa,, CA, United States
Pattern maker for the fiberglass/composite industries. Experienced in creating shapes from drawings, verbal descriptions, very vague sketches. Well versed in reading styles and feelings into creating shapes. I am very familiar with mold creation and repair. I have been doing this for 35 years. I also enjoy photography, web graphics, animation, and web development. In realizing my need to "move on" I hope to become proficient in these as I have "tooling." Click on any of the pictures to see them full size

Sunday, August 5, 2007

Back in the early days............

When I first moved to California I wanted to be a custom car builder. I dreamed of working for George Barris the very famous (at the time) custom car builder. Later in my career I built some patterns for Barris Customs in my own shop. I first went to work for a guy by the name of Harry P. Grant (no relation). I soon learned he was an alcholic and very difficult to work for. While there two fellows came in with this wild VW bug with super-wide tires, flared fenders, Vette-style scoop on the rear deck and an insturment pod on the hood. They simply wanted to get it painted. Harry P. refused. So I agreed to paint it in their fiberglass shop. This was my very first exposure to fiberglass. I pointed out some serious flaws in the workmanship on their parts. They asked if I could correct them and I agreed to do it. After beginning the project in their shop........ (Harry P. wouldn't allow a lowely VW in His shop)...... they decided to have me start from scratch and build some new straight patterns for them. After finding out all I had to do was make a shape from which molds could be taken I discovered the freedom of pattern making. The peices I labored on would never have to travel anywhere. It made my work so much easier. After I had done all four fenders, the new rear deck and the insturment pod on the front. they had me work with Wayne Hartman who taught me mold-making the way the "big guys" did it. I had an oppertunity to learn from the best. Unfortunatly, Fibertech didn't survive because of the immediate demand for these wild parts which they were not capable of meeting. Other companys copied them and sold them much cheaper. Also they were better epuiped and funded to supply the demand.





That experience got me to Hartman Fiberglass. I became Wayne Hartman's first employee. He made all kinds of race car bodies, mainly formula one, championship, and Can-Am. We also did a lot of race body repair. After hours,while working for Wayne I put all the neat Fibertech goodies on my own little 'Dub', got it ready for paint, and painted it.









First was the primer............











Then a base-coat of white..............














Highlighting in translucent blue..............










And finally translucent blue over the entire car.















Christmas in Southern Caifornia 1969. Yeah, that's a Christmas tree in the back seat. That's my son Jeff..........he's 41 now.










1 comment:

Anonymous said...

i'm wayne's grandson.. thats a nice story. i'll show it to him when i go to his house next week. thanks, Kyle